Trigger Happy

I came across this technique the other day, where back bets are triggered by falling odds in-running.

The trader was using Evo, which I don't. Fairbot is the only other trading application I've managed to get working under Linux - and the developers have vowed to continue supporting it under Linux. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a triggering mechanism like that shown in the video.

So, emboldened by the bot writing I've been doing, I decided to write my own 'trigger bot'. It's still a bit of a Heath Robinson, rough and ready beast, but I'll put it to the test today. It will only fire in the back bets. I'll use Fairbot to trade out initially, if at all.

Given that Fairbot will be running concurrently, there's a potential issue with data charges, but as the bot will be using the free API, I've calculated that I should be OK. Fingers crossed.

I'm more concerned that the throttling of the API calls by the free API will mean that the market will have gone well past my desired entry point by the time the code recognises that the trigger has been reached. Consequently, back bets might not be taken until the runner is drifting again.

A case of 'suck it and see' for the next couple of days.

6 comments:

Thatwasthepension said...

Hi, i'm very shure the free-API is too slow for inrunning. I test similar betting with the new multi-bet-tool from the geekstoy. Very easy handling. This kind of trading could be very boring over the time. To hack a automatism in it looks impossible for me. On some days the odds bouncing in the right direction and on other days they going straight the wrong way. All winnings of the week going on such days away. It has something to do with other bots i believe. On days where the bots can holding the market books inrun on the 100% mark all works well. But if the bots turned off or other things happen, than it's a day to forget.

Alistair Hamilton said...

Thanks for the comment.

I certainly do not intend to live trade using the free API. I'm simply using it to submit the triggered bets as Fairbot doesn't have that facility. I'll be trading out using Fairbot which of course doesn't use the free API.

Even then, Fairbot might not be suitable anyway. As I'm running it on Linux through Wine, it is not the fastest trading application.

Very much an experiment at the moment to see if there's something I can put to use.

Alistair Hamilton said...

As suspected, the free API and its inherent throttling frequently means the market has long since come and gone by the time my triggered be hits the market.

This causes big problems trying to trade out using Fairbot.

At the moment, the trigger mechanism fires for any horse that reaches the trigger point. Perhaps I'll look into limiting the triggering to the top three or four in the market. This, hopefully, will make it easier to trade out due to less runners being matched. It won't help in the situation described above of course, but I'd rather not give up on the technique just yet, despite today being a rather expensive one.

Bet on Sports said...

Great, great post! It’s something I have never thought about, really, but it makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks for sharing

Loocie said...

Hi Alistair,

there are a few ways to get more out of the free API. If you need a hint, just let me know.
All the best!

Cheers, Loocie

Alistair said...

Hi Loocie

Not heard from you for a long time. I trust things are well with you.

Yes, I'd be very interested in ways to get more out of the free API if you are willing to share. I appreciate you might not want to make it public so feel free to pop into the chat room some time. I'm usually there during afternoon horse racing.

Cheers

Alistair