BinarySoft Source Code For Sale

I, like all the other BinarySoft BDI users (presumably), received an email at the weekend offering the BDI source code for sale for personal use only.

As I've discussed before on this blog, I'm a Linux user and BinarySoft BDI is, as far as I am aware, the only Betfair trading software that will run natively on my chosen operation system. So, the opportunity to purchase the source code and develop it further for my own private use was very tempting.

Although I run my own IT support business, BetamicroSolutions, and I have done my fair share of programming in VBA, ASP and so on, I wouldn't describe myself as a programmer. Neither am I up to speed in JAVA - the programming language that BDI is coded in - and unfortunately, do not have the time or the inclination to attain that knowledge and skill.

There is also an issue with the Betfair API license. I confess, I haven't looked into it in great detail, but my understanding is that for personal use, there are two options. The first gives full access and costs some £200 per month according to the Betfair Developers site. There is a free version for personal use, but my understanding is that it is restricted. How that will effect the performance of BDI, I do not know, but it is clear that there is a certain amount of throttling on the API calls.

This, coupled with the fact that my trading does not produce the level of income that would justify the expense means that I am unable to take up the offer of purchasing the BDI source code, more's the pity, and will continue my investigation of using another trading software solution.

My preferred option, if I had had one, would've been that BinarySoft, as a company, had been sold as a going concern, or at least the software had been sold to someone/some company who would have been able to continue with the development and marketing of this excellent product. Chris, at BinarySoft, has, it seems, chosen not to do this and I respect his decision, though I am obviously disappointed that BDI is dying a death as a commercially available product.

No comments: