Where To Now?

This is my first post in a few days, so I thought I'd better resurface and let you know what I've been up to.

First off, the eagle eyed among you will notice a few subtle changes to the layout of the blog. Specifically, I've set up a listbox on the left that will allow you to scroll through my monthly profit and loss figures. The listbox allows me to keep all the information compact without spoiling the layout of the sidebar on the right. In light of this, the value of my bank will no longer be monitored in this blog.

Since Saturday's success, I've been thinking about what to do with this blog. I had intended to change tact and get away from the daily updates detailing my performance - hence the monthly figures on the right. However, my performance over the past few days has been very poor - I'm down £12 or so from the highlights of Saturday - tells me I'm not ready to abandon the discipline of daily posting to this blog. So I shall be continuing with my daily castigations.

That's the blog sorted, but what of my trading. Where do I go from here?

Since Saturday, I've struggled in the place markets so I think it is time I made a concerted effort on the win markets. I spent this evening in the win markets and came away more or less even. I had three silly losses that cost me £32 but I was very pleased with the other races. So, time to spend more time in these markets where I will effectively be starting again - not from £10 though you'll be glad to hear. I'm going to take my liabilities down to £50 and slowly build them up as I did with the place markets.

Regarding BinarySoft BDI.

While I am learning the win markets, I do not think it sensible to abandon the application I am familiar with. So, while it is working, I shall carry on using it for a couple of months, or until such time that it shows signs of misbehaving. That may come sooner rather than later as it did have a strange glitch today.

However, I have been investigating the various options available to me as far as operating systems/trading software are concerned. As I've detailed previously, I'm going to be forced to use Windows due to the lack of suitable software for Linux. However, rather than abandon my preferred platform altogether, I've been investigating running Windows inside Linux in something known as a 'Virtual Box'.

It's nearly 4:00am as I type this and I've just spent the past 3 hours installing a Virtual Box in Linux, installing Windows XP in that, and installing various other bits of Windows applications. As you can see from the image below, I've got BetTrader Pro and Bet Angel Basic running in a Windows XP environment hosted in a Virtual Box. Since these run, there should be absolutely no reason why Bet Angel Pro wouldn't run - I just do not have it to test at the moment and I wasn't going to pay for the trial version. I'll subscribe once I'm happier in the win markets and certainly within the next two months or so.


So, based on this, carrying on trading and still using Linux is a definite goer, though obviously having a totally Linux based solution would be the ideal, it's unlikely to happen, more's the pity.

One final thought before I eventually hit the sack. Since I'm reducing my stake significantly, I think I may reduce my overall bank to £500 and treat myself to a new, large monitor. Part of the reason for this is the need to use Windows. My 1440 x 900 resolution widescreen monitor doesn't seem to have Windows XP display drivers. I just don't have these hassles with Linux.

That's it for now. I'm bushed but I'll be back tomorrow detailing how much money you lot have scalped off me.

5 comments:

Matt said...

It is very much a shame binarysoft is ceasing to be, I have been using it for a few months now and it offers 2 key advantages over bet angel (which I used for years). Using %'s and the ability to trade two outcomes on the same ladder, ie all increments on both players in a tennis match covered in one ladder. Huge advantage.

To put it mildly I'm gutted they aren't going to be around, perhaps I will make a post about this on the blog. I have made Chris an offer to buy him out, if only to continue my own personal use of it. I'm quite willing to pay a substantial amount, but he seems set on closing doors completely. He has his reasons, so I guess we have to respect them.

Matt
Punt.com

Mike said...

Hi mate,

good to see you have hopefully found a solution to the problem you had, by the way there is a free 7 day trial for BetAngel Pro here

http://offer.betangel.com/

good luck in the win markets

Mike

Alistair said...

Thanks for the link Mike. I'll have a look at that later.

I agree with you Matt, particularly regarding the percentages. I've tried trading 3 previous times in the past two years before discovering BinarySoft BDI. All three times I failed - for a host of reasons which I won't bother going into here.

When I started BDI, straight off I took to using probability figures rather than decimals. It was if a vale had been lifted. I hope that same vale doesn't drop again when I move to something else.

I had wondered if someone couldn't have bought Chris out. It would've been something I'd consider if I was in a position to do so. It's such a shame that such a good product is being allowed to die.

Alistair

TickSize said...

Hi Alistair

Stay a million miles away from Bet Trade Pro it crashes often. I of two people who have had there banks wiped out when the app crashes. I'm not telling you to go with Bet Angel pro there are other apps out there.

Alistair said...

Hi Ticksize,

I have no intention of using BetTrader Pro for serious trading. I've heard of numerous issues with it in the past. I only installed it for testing purposes.

Having suffered from one software developer packing it in, I think I will end up going with Bet Angel as they are more likely to be around for the foreseeable future.

Ali