Escaped By The Skin Of My Teeth

Another tiny profit today thanks to the Wrexham v Oxford match, but more of that later.

I had such difficulty with the horses today yet, after starting the day with a pleasing £3.50 profit, I thought it was going to be oh so different. Unfortunately, the next two races saw me throw away over £10 and I was on the back foot for the rest of the day.

Apart from that first race, virtually everything I touched went wonky. I just couldn't read the markets at all. On the few races I did get it right, I didn't get involved as the earlier losses had knocked my confidence somewhat.

On numerous occasions I spotted big moves just as they began, but all I did was sit and watch them for fear of an immediate reversal in the market. Very frustrating.

I traded 21 races, scratching 13 of them - with many of those 'scratched' for the loss of a few pennies. Those pennies all add up of course. I lost 5 races at a cost of over £18 resulting in an overall loss on the day of £11.69.

I thought my current winning streak was up the spout, but I turned to the Wrexham v Oxford match to save the day.

I felt that there would be goals in this one so I waited until the match went in play and then backed the over 2.5 goals at 2.10, 2.25, 2.5, 2.75 and 3.00 for a tenner each. I then sat back and waited for them to be matched - and for a goal of course.

Not long after the first of these was matched the market was suspended due to a sending off. Fortunately for the daily total, Wrexham missed the resulting penalty. I re-entered the remaining bets once the market re-opened and I got two of those matched before the first goal.

When the market re-opened, the odds were such that I was able to get a greened up profit of £13.68 which I was happy to take as it saved my day. That turned out to be the best decision I'd made all day as there was only one more goal and that wasn't until the last minute.


So a staggering profit for the day of £1.99. I've obviously got to be happy with today's escape, but it's clear I'm still struggling to reach the levels of performance I was getting in the horse markets back in June. I wish I knew the reason why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alistair,

Congratulations on the football profit!! I have tended to jump in with one bet with one price. To divide this between a few small bets requesting different prices makes sense!
Can I ask though.....if a goal had not come along, what was your plan? At what point would you have 'redded-up' or would you have held on to the end hoping for a goal and possibly losing most or all of your stakes?
I know there are a lot of guys talking about the money they make on football but its so different from pre-race trading on the horses. When you bet you have an ongoing headache with a situation that is gradually getting worse until a goal makes everything good. It can do my head in!
Seriously though - what was your exit strategy? I would love to do a bit of footy trading again.
All the best on the profit here mate!
Dave.

Alistair said...

Hi Dave and thanks for the comment.

If I was honest, the over 2.5 goals in the Wrexham game was more of a punt than a planned trade as I was happy to risk up to £50 though I was always likely to get out after the first goal.

Having said that, I'm much more of a trader now than a gambler and, although I didn't have a set exit point pre-match I would've got out when the odds reached 4.00 which would've been not long after half time I guess.

Alistair