November Summary

It's been an interesting month, full of frustration, ups and downs, not to mention one or two tantrums.

I had two main objectives this month. The first of these was to try and reduce the number of hours I've been spending in front of my computer, trading the sports markets. This, I have to say has been only partially successful.

Second, I wanted to spend much more of my time attempting to address the horse win markets. For some time now, I have been frustrated with my progress in terms of profit gained each month. Although I have successfully trading the place and, latterly, the greyhound markets, I have yet to find a way to trade those successfully with all but the most modest of stakes. As a result, my 'takings' were always going to be limited.

Rightly or wrongly, I see the horse win markets providing a means of increasing my stakes and therefore, my profit for the same number of ticks gained.

With this in mind, I went into this month not expecting to make a huge amount. Indeed, the win markets behave so differently to the volatile and thin markets that I am used to that I fully expected to lose money this month.

Fortunately, that has not proved to be the case having made over £200 this month. Not my best granted, but certainly more than I had geared myself up for.

Listed below are the totals for each market/sport I got involved in throughout the month:

Greyhounds... £169.55
Horses... £39.86
Soccer... £21.91

Of these, the greyhounds are the most disappointing. Particularly when one considers that they have been something of a staple diet the past few months. Having said that, I've not been entering as many markets whilst my focus was on the horses.

The soccer remains a disappointment, but this is partly due to not being able to find the time to dedicate to form study. I'd imagine that this situation will continue and the football side of things will remain nothing more than for the occasional small punt.

I'm a bit ambivalent regarding the horse racing total, given my earlier comments. Indeed. thanks to today's performance it is some £20 higher than it would've been. However, given that I struggled badly in the first half of the month as I ventured forth into the frenetic world of horse trading, I'm pleased that I came away with any form of profit.

At the start of November, I gave myself a month to try and come to terms with the win markets with a view to reassessing my position at the end of the month. Clearly, the month hasn't been a disaster, but then, it has hardly been a roaring success either. The jury is still very much out on that one.

With that in mind, I think it is sensible to carry on with my efforts to master these markets. There has been signs this month that things are beginning to make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm still making loads of mistakes, but that's all part of the learning process. With this in mind, I'll be concentrating on the horses throughout December once again whilst I visit the dogs as frequently as possible in order to keep the profit ticking over.

Software wise, I'll be carrying on with my trial of Bet Trader Pro. I have some 1900 mins to use up, which I'd image will give me 6-7 days worth of horse trading.

The other thing to look forward to is the release of the ladder interface in Betdaq Trader. I've been informed that this should appear by mid December. I haven't been trading the horses on Betdaq due to the lack of a ladder interface. I'm looking forward to seeing what those markets are like as they may be more suited to my style.

Finally, I intend to do more matched betting and the observant among you will have noticed I've placed a spreadsheet on the site specifically designed for the Bet365 free bet offers. You can check it out via the software link in the menu. Feel free to download it and if you'd like, I'd welcome any feedback you may have.

That's it for this month. The end of the 9th month and a total of £2428 reached from a starting point of £10. Here's hoping that the next nine months can see me push on from there.

8 comments:

zappi said...

Just a simple case of DISCIPLINE
and PROFESSIONALISM on your part.Though it appears you are still searching for your investment niche' the fact is that you are a superior money manager.

I will look to replicate your slow and steady accumulation of profits when my journey begins tomorrow.

All the best!

Zappi

leonthefixer said...

Well done mate - not your best month but a profitable one while you are learning new markets!!!

I am sure you build on your success this month. Keep it up and keep up the blog!

Sure you know already but when you are not using the ladder switch to the grid view on BT and it doesnt use up your minutes! So between races etc. go to the grid and your minutes won't get used up.

Alistair said...

Hi guys.

Very kind of you to say so Zappi. I'd have to agree that, while I am able to tick things over (excuse the pun), that one 'niche' still eludes me.

As ever Leon, thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated.

I have indeed been switching to the grid when not trading. Useful to do anyway as that's the only way to get to the Betfair graphs within Bet Trader - as far as I can see.

Alistair

gorgeous-george said...

Hi mate,

great blog, if you click the horses name on the ladder interface it brings the graph up.

ironhorse
http://pocketmoneytrading.blogspot.com/

Alistair said...

Thanks g-g. I completely missed that one. I'll check that tomorrow as I'm seeing clients all day today.

Regards

Alistair

Anthony said...

It may have been a lot of hard work but you have made over £2,000. Better in your pocket than anyone elses! Try to look at the larger picture on the graphs - the top and bottom points and the general trend when scalping and if you find yourself on the right side of a decent move try to leave say a third to ride the full length of the swing. This can make quite a difference to your final profit figures and is, in effect, a free bet.
Keep up the good work mate.

Hunter said...

hey Al! great blog. did you use the Easy Trader Pro ebook? that ebook is specifically targeted at the dogs. it's very well written and had given me some quids here and there. i can send it to you if you want it. worth reading.

Alistair said...

Anthony:

Still trying to master the art of trading the win markets. Cannot say I'm getting anywhere fast. I'll give it until the end of the year, then I'll need to go concentrate on the markets I can trade.

Hunter:

Good luck with your blog. I'll be keeping an eye on it as, coincidently, I've been looking at three dog dutching as well. I just haven't had the time to dedicate to learning about dog form so I've had to put it on the back burner.

I'm sure I've read Easy Trader Pro, but possibly note as the one I recall was aimed at the nags rather than dogs. If you're happy to send a copy then great. Just send it to my MSN address on the right.

Cheers

Alistair