December Summary

Before I even attempt to summarise this quite extraordinary month, I'll give you a quick break down on today's performance.

I had one goal today and that was to earn £7.31 in order to break through the £900 barrier for the month. As soon as I lost £4.60 in the first dog race of the day, I was thinking it wasn't going to be. Such an inauspicious start to the proceedings set the tone for the first hour or so.

No sooner would I claw much of my losses back and then lose much of it again. However, I slowly edged my way back into profit. All 20 pence of it! After 80 mins, I gave up and went for an early lunch. Half an hour later and with my head in gear this time, I broke through the £900 mark in only two races.

From then, I never looked back. The markets were excellent throughout the afternoon and I started racking up the profits.

I was annoyed at myself though as I was slow to catch on to what the William Hill Radio commentators were saying about the meeting at Nottingham. "There's a definite bias towards the outside traps". Once that clicked, it was simply a case of backing trap 6 for some very healthy profits.

There was plenty of money around so for a while I was able to increase my stakes by 50%. Come 5:30pm, I had gained the same profit I'd managed yesterday. Things slowed down from then on though and the evening meetings were very sparse. Once the Hull v Aston Villa match started, and after losing nearly £2, I quit trading the dogs.

Still, yet another record was broken today in a month that has seen records repeatedly broken. The £75.95 profit I achieved on the dogs today is the highest I've managed in a single day on the mutts.


I wasn't finished for the day though.

After such a good performance, and having sailed through the £900 marked, £1000 was quickly coming into sight. However, I knew that I wouldn't be trading tomorrow due to other committments so I thought I'd try my hand at the footy. After all, I've had such a good month and things have went for me so well, I thought I might get lucky - again.

Both Hull and Aston Villa have been involved in lots of matches with goals in them this season, so taking £15 of today's winnings I decided to back the over 3.5 goals on Betdaq with a view to trading out after 2 or 3. That went down like a lead balloon as you are no doubt aware.

However, SoccerLotto had tipped wins for Morton and Aston Villa so I stuck them in a double on Betdaq. Thanks to Villa's very late winner, the profit for the double covered the loss on the over 3.5 goals with a little left over.

So, my cunning plan to reach a grand didn't pay off, but with a monthly total of £971.33 let's just round it up and we'll call it quits :-)

So what about the rest of the month?

To be honest, I do not know where to start. There have been so many highs the past few weeks which I've already documented in the corresponding posts. It's extraordinary to think that there has been such a dramatic increase in my profit, particularly when one considers that the first week in December saw me make a very poor £47.30.

However, that first week saw me abandon my attempts to tame the horse win markets. A decision that has since been amply justified by the results. With that particular monkey off my back, I was free to concentrate on the greyhounds, which, as you'll see from the figures below, have come on leaps and bounds.

Listed below are the totals for each market/sport I got involved in throughout the month:

Greyhounds... £685.26
Horses... £39.45
Soccer... £246.62

A couple of things from these figures. Firstly, the horse markets remain an enigma to me, even when I switched to the place markets, I just cannot seem to get back to the same level of understanding I had when trading them in the first half of my trading career. I wish I knew why.

Secondly, while it could be argued that the soccer results, which have almost totally come from matched betting, have 'artificially' boosted the monthly total, I don't have any doubt that this, additional, stress free income boosted my confidence and lead directly to a more relaxed trading style that benefited my greyhound trading. As you can see, my profit from the greyhounds alone far outstrips my best ever month by some margin.

So what now?

First, I'm going to take a few days off and will probably not get going again in anger until next Monday. I'll take the time to think about what I do next, though I think much of it is obvious.

Specifically, while I would dearly love to master the horses, at least the place markets like I once did, I don't see the point. If I can maintain the performance I have managed on the dogs then I'll be quite happy. So that's where most of my concentration will be focussed.

I'll continue to look at the free bets/matched betting, but they are limited simply because I'm running out of bookmakers with whom I do not already have an account. However, on the subject matched betting, I have plans for further enhancements to the Rolling Free-Bet Matching spreadsheet, which will also keep me occupied.

In essence though, the plan is to try and keep the momentum going. I cannot say I expect January to be quite as successful as December, but it's going to be fun trying.

So, a well deserved break from trading as the year ends and a new one starts. Let me take this opportunity to wish all my readers, where ever you are, a very good and prosperous New Year.

Best Wishes

Alistair

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on a fantastic year and a fantastic month!

Best of luck for 2009!

Leonthefixer.

Michael said...

Well done Alistair, I wish you all the best for next year, its been interesting following your blog with the ups and downs of trading through out this past year, I hope this coming year brings you more profit.

Mark Iverson said...

A great month and a great year mate - well done!

Mark

Philip H said...

Only just discovered this blog; most interesting. But tell me, how long do you have to stay in front of the pc to do what you do?
I have no idea about "trading" at all but I assume it has to be quite time consuming. Trading on dogs? How does this work? A race is over and done with so quick, what sort of broadband speed do you have? OK, I don't expect you to answer these querys but I AM interested.

Cheers, Phil

Drifter said...

Excellent stuff Alistair. I am very impressed with your total for the month especially as I think that December is normally a tricky month.

I am now using Betfair for my trading so thought it was appropriate to start a new blog. the new blog is http://driftersandsteamers.blogspot.com/ I would appreciate if you could add this to your links and delete the old link as I will be deleting this soon.

Have a great 2009.

Drifter

Anthony said...

Well done Alistair! I'm really pleased to see you're making a good profit and enjoying it.
Your profit was higher than mine for December. Well done mate.

Alistair said...

Thanks to one and all for your comments. Much appreciated.

Not long back from a trip away so it will be a slow start to the new year, but I'm sure I'll get back in the swing of things soon.

Alistair

Alistair said...

Sorry Phil, I forgot to answer your questions.

I work from home so I frequently find myself spending upwards of 8 hours trading the dogs. With races from 11:00am to 10:30pm most days, I can dip in and out as I like.

The vast majority of dog races do not have in-running markets so I only trade the last 2 minutes before the off.

I do all this on a broadband connection that barely gets above 1Mb at times.

Hope this helps.

Alistair