A Satisfactory Hourly Rate

No sooner had I posted my entry last night and I received a phone call from the friend I was supposed to me meeting for drinks tonight. Work had intervened and our plans had to be canceled. As a result, I was able to get a full evening of greyhound trading, with very pleasing results.

For some time now, I've been aware that Monday evening, for whatever reason, seems to be good to me as far as trading the dogs is concerned. Tonight was no exception, though it turned out to be exceptional.

I was home in time to start trading from the 5:22 and I carried on until the last race at 9:30. I got involved in 43 races and lost on only 5 of them, collecting a profit of £42.94. At an average of £1/race it really goes to show how quickly the profit can mount on the dogs when the races come thick and fast as they do in the evenings.


That figure also works out at a very acceptable tax free £10/hr. I'd happily settle for that every day.

I confess, I'm a little bemused, though obviously delighted, with the run I'm on at the moment. Long may things continue to go this way.

4 comments:

The hit and run punter said...

Keep the profits coming your way
Alistair. You will have a grwat year next year because you now have confidence.

Thehitandrunpunter

Alistair said...

Thanks Hit and Run.

Still trying to keep my feet on the ground, but I'm clearly very happy with the way things are going at the moment. Looking for more of the same this week.

Alistair

Holty said...

Well done alistair, Glad your having a good run. I trade the greyhounds to. Find it easier then the horses and i like the fact there is loadsa races a day! Just after a few tips really. What stakes do you use to gain your £1 profits? What do you look out for? etc?

Thanks Chris

Alistair said...

Hi Chris

My stakes varies depending on the odds. The software I use, BinarySoft BDI, uses an Amount/point staking system. I use £1/point, so if the odds to back are 4.00 say, the stake is £25. If they are 2.00, the stake is £50.

I almost always back first, for no other reason than I seem to be able to spot shortening prices rather than drifters.

I'm not sure I can describe what I do. I'm not sure I know myself. I almost instinctively know what to do having been involved in so many races over the months.

However, some tips:

1. Don't use large stakes. They'll get matched and you'll never get out.
2. Look for decent gaps, especially where there's signs of jumpy activity.
3. Don't be afraid to take on large amounts, especially if they are unsupported.
4. Don't go in too early. Wait for the last 90 secs. Make sure you do not get caught by the off. You might find listening to William Hill radio useful for this.
5. Just keep watching the markets. You'll develop your own preferences.

Hope this helps.

Alistair