Taking A Nap

I was pretty tired when I got home today having been with a client all day. It didn't help getting up at the crack of dawn to watch the Australian Grand Prix yesterday which caught up with me today. However, that's not what the title of this post is alluding to.

Monday nights, I find, are generally good to me as far as trading the greyhounds are concerned. That would certainly seem the case given tonight's profit of £65. However, £50 of that was a straight lay of the Racing Post Nap in the 7:27 at Romford.


Yes, I know, I am meant to be a trader, but that doesn't mean that all 'punts' are banned.

As you can imagine, I've watched hundreds, if not thousands of greyhound markets over the past 6-7 months and it is clear to me that the Racing Post Naps are pretty hopeless. But I've noticed that the shorter priced ones frequently get humped. In my view, when one of these dogs is shorter than 3.00, it no longer becomes value and is worth opposing.

However, I took other factors into account...

A quick glance at the card showed that there were numerous decent quality dogs in the race, with similar times. In addition, the nap, 'Kingsmill Beau', had been a short priced favourite in it's last three races and it had finished 3rd, 2nd and 4th.

The commentator on WH Radio, was hardly waxing lyrical about it's chances, plus, the earlier races at Romford had all seen winners from trap 5 or 6. There was a possible outside bias, but the nap was drawn in trap 1.

All this meant that it was hardly a blind bet, so I thought, 'what the hell'. I've had a good month and at lay odds of 2.46, it was hardly going to break the bank if it won.

It didn't come close, finishing stone cold last. Thank you very much.

I could have used much the same argument for the not only the other naps of the evening cards, but the corresponding 'next best' as well. A couple of them were equally short and also lost. However, having given my monthly total a lovely boost toward that magic £1K figure, I decided not to risk it.

As for my trading this evening, it wasn't great. I had a couple of races where I took a bigger loss than I would've liked, but I cannot complain. £65 for less than 3 hours 'work' is OK in my book.

No comments: