Same Old Story

After Monday's excellent result, I was looking forward to trading today. However, the high's of Monday were short lived and quickly replaced with my normal trading of winning a reasonable amount on the greyhounds followed by losing it again on the horses.

I recovered some in the early evening thanks as usual to the dogs, but I quit early as I was off playing badminton at 8:00. Not that dog trading would have been possible then given the Champions League matches were on at that time.

Today was the first time for a little while that I consciously set about to trade the pre-race markets. Sixteen races and I lost in half of them - a little over £11 in total. Once again, I'm beginning to question the wisdom of trading the horse markets. Particularly if it is impacting on the profits I am achieving from the greyhounds. My pre-race trading is in complete contrast to my paper trading of the in-running trading/hedging I've been doing.

As I've alluded to in an early posting, I'm looking for horses that will shorten in-running with a view to either trading them, or setting up a suitable hedge pre-off. Today, I only looked at four races and found winners in three of them:

3:20 Cheltenham - From Dawn To Dusk - BFSP 5.20 -> 1.01 Winner
3:35 Newmarket - Ouqba - BFSP 5.14 -> 1.01 Winner
3:45 Beverley - Sirvino - BFSP 5.50 -> 1.01 Winner
4:20 Beverley - Amethyst Dawn - BFSP 8.42 -> 2.60

Generally, I haven't been posting the picks over the past week as they are made in the run up to the off and I didn't want to be accused of 'after-eventing' - not that it would bother me as I know what picks I've made. However, I've been announcing the picks in the chat room, so they have been 'proofed' in a manner of speaking, as part of an on-going discussion. Consequently, I may start recording them on the blog.

The point being, as I've said on numerous occasions, that I may have greater success utilising this than continually trying to master the pre-race trading. Time will tell.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

It doesn't matter how you skin the cat, as long as it ain't furry when you've finished (or something!). Looks like you may have found a niche there Alistair. Good luck to you.

Alistair said...

LOL! I'm glad you said cat and not pussy!

Too early to say if there's a niche there Anthony. Here's hoping though.

Thanks for the comment.

Alistair