May Summary

Today saw me make my best daily profit on the horse trading, returning £41 from the pre-race win markets and taking my total for the month to over £500. Yet only two days ago, achieving that figure was completely unimaginable. It sure has been an extraordinary weekend.

Listed below are the totals for each market/sport I got involved in throughout the month:

Greyhounds... £185.80
Horses... £261.24
Soccer... £7.44
Cricket... £3.33

Added to this, is a £50 reload bonus from Bet365, which I was able to withdraw once I had recycled my qualifying bet a few times.

This month has proved to be very difficult, for two reasons.

First off, I intended to have another go at the horse win markets so I had already psyched myself up for a poor month.

Secondly, I've been struggling in the greyhound markets for 5-6 weeks. Either my trading skills in these markets have completely disappeared, or the markets themselves have changed and I have yet to adjust.

I suspect it is the latter as there were signs back in April that there was something different. It coincided with the summer horse racing season starting. At this stage, I do not know if that is the case or not. Is there a seasonal element to the dog markets? I've no idea as I've only been trading them since last September, i.e. the winter months. In any case, it is worrying as the greyhounds have provided the bulk of my profit for some six months now.

Under normal circumstances, I'd be expecting the dogs to provide the bulk of my monthly profit, typically in the region of £400-£600. To make only £185 is particularly poor. Indeed, it is worse than that since most of that £185 (£144 to be precise) has come from bet matching the Bet365 greyhound offers. So only £41 has been made by actually trading the greyhound markets.

Granted, I've not been trading anywhere near the number of markets that I was doing 2 months ago, due to concentrating on the horses. However, there is no doubt that the markets have been more difficult. They were less jumpy with very few decent moves. I lost cost of the number of races I didn't get involved in as the market was absolutely static.

The one glimmer of light is my horse trading. Even then, a large portion of the £261 profit (some £115) was also due to bet matching Bet365 offers. That said, I'm delighted with nearly £150 profit from actually trading the markets. The last two weeks in particular has seen much improvement, despite the odd disastrous day, and leaves me with no small amount of optimism that the horses will be providing the bulk of my profit sooner rather than later.

Obviously, there is still a lot of work to be done and even more to learn, but finally, I am a lot happier with my prospects of mastering the horse pre-race markets.

For the coming month I will carry on with the horses being my main focus, though I still want to keep my hand in on the dogs. Also, as this weekend has shown, I need to avail myself of the Bet365 offers more than I have been doing of late as they provide a stress free route to easy money. Given the results this weekend, it would be remiss of me not to do them.

Thanks to some decent trading, some excellent matched betting and a little bit of good old fashioned luck, what was predicted as being a poor month (and was heading for that very outcome) turned into good one. All in the space of the last two days. I'll settle for more of that in June thank you - the decent trading, excellent matched betting and luck that is.

As ever, thank you for all your comments, support and taking the time to read my self indulgent ramblings.

1 comment:

PhilipH said...

Hi Alistair,

An encouraging month for you and now that June is busting out all over hopefully you can keep going strong.

I am glad you mentioned "a little bit of good old-fashioned luck" in your post. Without that there would never be a profit, imo. I tried "trading" after watching some BF vids by people like "Badger" who always seemed to green up with no problem! It seemed like a sure way to print money, or 'quantitative easing' to use the weasel words of government. BUT, without a good deal of "luck" in choosing when to step in and when to "red out" I found it nigh on impossible to make it worth the effort. So, Ali, you are right to mention Lady Luck. Without her finger on the mouse or track pad you would find it much harder! All in my most humble of opinions, as always.:-)

Regards, Phil