AWOL

Sorry for lack of updates. I haven't been trading this weekend as I spent the past two days at the British Superbikes meeting at my local motor racing circuit, Knockhill.


I did do some trading on Friday where I managed to get myself in profit to the tune of £34, split more or less 50:50 between dogs and horses. The nags still remain pretty erratic though.

Not much trading over the next couple of days due to other commitments so I probably won't be back in the saddle until Wednesday, or possibly Thursday.

Thanks to all of you who have taken the trouble to comment in recent days. Apologies for not responding. I simply haven't had the time. I'll endeavour to do so, later in the week.

2 comments:

PhilipH said...

Alistair, My first bookie boss, Arthur H. Horton, was a regular "side-car passenger" in the IoMan TT races back in the late 1930s and 40s. Have you ever seen any of the old newsreels of that type of racing?

Arthur had two sons, Tony and Peter, and they both were keen racers at Brands Hatch. I used to go there as a spectator and loved the smell of the special oil they mostly used. Had a unique sort of aroma that filled the air. Very exciting days.

Phil

Alistair said...

Hi Phil,

Yes, I've seen side-car racing before. These guys are complete nutters. you wouldn't catch me doing that!

Funny enough, there's a side-car meeting at Knockhill this coming weekend. I won't be able to go though.

One of the riders broke his thigh bone during the weekend. Apparently had a brake failure of some sort as he hared toward the hairpin at 140mph. It's amazing the knocks and scrapes these guys take.

Remember Barry Sheen? I lost count the number of bits of metal that held that guy together.

Certainly exciting to watch these races, but I have no idea how they do it. I've never been on so much as a moped, so have never experience the undoubted thrill of riding a powerful motor bike, never mind race one.

Alistair