Brain Wiring

It's been a real struggle for me the past few days. I'd happily build the foundations of a decent profit only for a 2-3 race spell to come along and wipe it all out and put me back to square one. It's happened time and time again this week leading to very little increase in the size of the pot and no end of frustration.

One of the things that I've been acutely aware of this week is my failure to get on drifting runners. I keep missing them and they go out so quickly that I can't catch up. I've been aware for some time that I tend to spot shortening prices easier than drifting ones. I seem to have difficulty spotting the price as it falls down the ladder, yet have little bother as it moves up (remember the ladder is inverted in BinarySoft).

I had mused in the past that perhaps my brain is wired in such a way as to favour the visual recognition of the upward movement compared to the downward movement. This week's efforts have brought those thoughts to the fore again, hence this post.

It is recognised in the educational establishments that some people have difficulty understanding written concepts, but have no trouble if those same concepts are expressed in graphical format, and vice versa. Anyone who has ever sat an IQ test will know the type of thing I mean.


I do not know if this is true, or just conjecture on my part, but it will be interesting to see if using conventional trading software I suddenly find it easier spotting drifters where the market it moving up the ladder. The opposite to what I am used to.

P.S. Like most IQ tests, there isn't necessarily one answer. In this case, the best answer is the third one by rotating the small square. The forth is also possible if you invert the small square while rotating the larger L shape. Sorry if I gave the answer away too soon. :-)

2 comments:

JS said...

thank you for sharing your blog. have recently started my own and am looking to exchange links with fellow bloggers.

i have already added your blog to my blog roll and would appreciate if you could add me to yours.

my url is:
http://my-betfair-trading-journal.blogspot.com/

best,
john

Alistair said...

Hi John,

Thanks for the link. I link to your will be up on my links page by the weekend.

Cheers and all the best for your trading.

Alistair