Wild Thing

As I sat here this morning, with my arthritic knees giving me grieve, I had cause to reminisce about my youth. In those days, I was very rarely ill, and with it, very fit. Boy, am I making up for it now!

I was pretty sporty when I was young, and blessed with what could be described as natural talent. Every sport I tried, I was pretty good at. Not world class you understand, but certainly proficient, particularly if it involved a ball of some description or running round an athletics track.

I did the usual stuff. Played football, rugby and badminton for the school; took up tennis and squash when I went to university. I took to all of them like a duck to water. Then, in my late twenties, I started playing golf, which just goes to prove the old adage that as a man get older, his balls get smaller. But I digress...

Golf was the one sport that I was utterly useless at. Indeed, my workplace at that time had a golf section in which I became known as 'Wild Thing' due to my rather unorthodox swing - which, I hasten to add was primarily due to a dicky shoulder, injured at work. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. I thought 'Slasher' was more accurate, but I didn't get a vote. Sorry, I'm wandering off again...

Many times, to great hoots of laughter, my fellow colleagues and playing partners, would sing the chorus of the famous Troggs number, just as I was teeing off.


Don't get me wrong, I loved playing golf, but why continue doing something that I was hopeless at?

I'd spend hours on end, hacking my way through the undergrowth as I wound my way round the course, zig-zagging my way up each fairway. Then, completely out of the blue, I'd hit that one shot that pitched perfectly on the green, or cleared the lip of the bunker and rolled in the hole. It didn't matter that I had taken ten strokes to get there. It was the one shot in the whole of the miserable round that would make me come back and do it all again.

It suddenly dawned on me this afternoon as I struggled through another poor display in the horse markets, that trading is very much like golf. All it takes is one really good trade amongst the dross, and I'll be back the next day to do it all over again.

2 comments:

neil said...

hehe, golf is also like trading in that it looks easy, all you have to do is swing a club and hit a ball right? How hard can it be? Im doing it just the same as that guy over there but he can hit it 300 yards, and I just trickle it into the rough 20 yards ahead.
Its also a game that requires a strong mental attitude.
I gave up golf a while ago, it was driving me crazy, I havent given up trading yet though

Anonymous said...

Super all action vidio!, golf? too slow moving for me Smokey