Broadband Issues Continue

Well, I've heard from my ISP that both BT and their broadband suppliers (my ISP, Freeola, are a reseller for Entanet) have done repeated tests and found nothing untoward with my line or their equipment. Surprise, surprise!

In the meantime, they have me doing numerous tests involving router settings, swapping routers etc. What annoys me about these tests is the length of time I have to wait to see any sort of effect. Because of the way BT equipment automatically handles disconnections any change I make can either appear to have no effect, or indeed, make things worse.

Essentially, disconnections have the effect of reducing your BT profile where BT force a slower sync rate in order to improve stability. Only when the connection has been stable for at least 72 hours will it be increased, even then, only incrementally. What a pain in the arse!

In the meantime, I've got to accept a much reduced service, yet pay the same amount of money for it!

I've always been annoyed by the way the 'up to 8Mb' broadband is priced in this country. I think it is outrageous that two people, on the same plan with the same ISP pay the same monthly fee, yet one gets a better service simply because they live a few hundred yards nearer the exchange. I cannot think of any other example where that would be allowed.

Imagine driving three miles to your local electrical store where you meet up with a friend who lives right next door to said store. You both have exactly the same amount of cash and enter the store with the intention of buying the same model of television, yet you are fobbed off with a lower spec TV because you live three miles away. It just wouldn't happen.

I currently spend £25/month for the privilege of getting 0.4Mbps when I used to get 1.4Mps for the same price. Now, it looks like I am going to be spending much of December having to put up with it as I twiddle my thumbs for 72 hour spells.

The one good thing that has come of this is that it has really focussed my mind on all the things I can do to squeeze as much bandwidth out of my line as I possibly can. It is just so annoying that I have to wait for such long periods to see if each changed worked.

One of the things I have done is upgrade the firmware for my Netgear DG834PN router. This is obtained not from Netgear but DGTeam. This has added numerous adjustable settings to the administrative controls for the router, so I've got lots of extra bits to adjust. Unfortunately, many of them will require a reboot and the associated BT enforced slowdown that that entails.

Talk about two steps forward, one step back!

Of course, I'm not ruling out having to change my router altogether. I've already seen a ZyXEL modem sync to 3.3Mbps - the highest I've ever seen since buying this house 5 years ago although I didn't see a corresponding increase in speed as my BT profile was still restricted. Unfortunately, before my profile could be increased, the SNR margin slowly fell until the thing lost sync, disconnected and re-sync'd at 1.1Mbps.

Neither am I ruling out having my internal star-wired layout replaced with a modern one. Indeed, if I ever get the spare room turned into an office/trading room (seems I've been talking about that for forever) then I definitely will.

In the meantime, I need to carry on trying to eliminate all possible causes of the drop in speed, which, thanks to the stupid way BT's system works, is likely to take as long as me sorting the spare room out.

4 comments:

leonthefixer said...

Sorry to see your problems carrying on but do yourself a favour and get rid of your current ISP they sound a complete joke who don't know anything.

Get yourself one of these packages:

http://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/S_Business.aspx

25GB is £21.27, 50GB is £29.78. 50GB is more than enough and you will wonder why you never switched earlier. They wont fob you off with the line 'we can't find anything wrong our end'!

crotig said...

Sounds pretty bad. Although £25p/m for 1.4Mbps doesn't sound much better.
Can I ask what your distance from your exchange is?. I had never bothered much to look into ADSL as I have always had cable but recnetly I installed o2 broadband for my father in Penicuik and was suprised at the quality. He is 1.5 miles from his exchange and gets 7/8Mbps down and 1 Mbps up at pretty much anytime day or night. Better upload than my 10Mbps cable package and for a lot cheaper too.

Good luck battling with BT.

Ronnie2ticks said...

I had similar problems months ago with Orange, they carried out check on the line nothing found, my broadband had dropped to 0.21mbs to 0.4 this was from 6mb, i was not happy especially after the last call when the operator told me that i had actually been capped ! i trust they have not done this to you?
i am now with BT and fairly happy with it, good luck in getting yours sorted.

Jay Oliver said...

Hey,

That sucks, I'm sure I talk for most of the world when I say this, we can't live with out the net!

Well i know i can't personally.

Other than that, nice blog, some nicely monthly profits posted as well, pretty sure you'll turn this one around too.

Jay
www.amanthatlays.blogspot.com