Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

As I am sure you can appreciate, my go-slow broadband has severely curtailed my trading activities recently, hence the lack of updates.

I have tried trading each day but I have had to make do without WH Radio, live streaming of football matches and visits to chat rooms to have any hope of making trades. It has been haphazard to say the least. Needless to say, I've been losing more times than winning.

I'm currently at the stage were I've managed to borrow a couple of old routers from a client, in order to confirm whether my router is up the spout. The one I'm currently testing is a ZyXEL Prestige 650R-31. It is syncing at a reasonable rate, typically 2.5Mbps.

Unfortunately, this router doesn't seem to handle low noise margins very well. When it syncs, the noise margin is in the high teens, but as the day wears on, this decays until the router loses sync, disconnects and resyncs. The noise margin drops as evening turns to night, so I get about 16 hours out of the router and it resyncs a couple of times during the night. Each time though it resyncs to around 2.5Mbps.

A synchronisation rate of 2.5Mbps, SHOULD see me achieve a download rate of around 2Mbps. I'm getting 0.8Mbps! Why? It's all down to this ludicrous system that BT have in place whereby they adjust your 'profile' if their systems decide that your line is unstable. The theory behind this is to allow them to guarantee some level of service.

In effect, they are throttling my connection and I am NOT happy.

If they detect that the line is being disconnected on a regular basis, they drop your profile. So the question arises regarding the current router I am testing; if it loses sync 2-3 times during the night, even though I'm not using it during that time, will BT keep my profile low, despite the router always syncing around 2.5Mbps?

What if I don't want to keep my router on overnight? Would switching it off when I go to bed mean that I am inadvertently limiting my bandwidth? How frequent would the switch offs need to be in order to trigger the BT profile reduction?

My ISP tells me I should keep the router switched on all the time. I do, but I have to ask the question, why the hell should I? It's a question that you should be asking too.

Not only that, my ISP advises that when I make a change to test something, that BT says I should allow 72 hours for their system to adjust. What complete pillock ever thought that was a good idea? If your reading this please comment. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind it.

For anyone that has ever had a broadband connection issue, you'll be familiar with the usual spiel ISPs normally give you: swap your filters, change your router, connect your router to the master socket, blah, blah, bloody blah! Based on the 72 hour rule, it could take you weeks, if not months to resolve the issue!

Dumb! Dumb! Dumb!

No comments: