Running Fairbot In Linux

As ever, I've been exploring other applications with a view to giving me options that would allow me to trade using my preferred operating system, Linux.

For those unfamiliar with Linux, applications designed for Windows will not run natively on Linux, not surprisingly. There are a number of ways around this - potentially. One of these is an on-going Linux project called Wine ("Wine Is Not an Emulator") which attempts to provide a Windows compatible API set that will run under the open source operating system.

Most trading applications are based on Microsoft's .NET Framework. Unfortunately, at the time of writing, Wine does not run such applications as it doesn't have a set of compatible .NET APIs. The Mono project is set to address this, though I cannot advise how far along that project is.

One of the applications that I have managed to get running on Linux under Wine is Fairbot. The installation instructions are below and provided by Andrey, the developer of Fairbot, to whom I extend my thanks for the assistance and permission for reproducing them here. I've made little embellishments where appropriate.

These instructions assume you already have Wine installed on your Linux box.

1. Download this file:
www.binteko.net/download/fairbot_2_6_linux.zip

(Note by AH: This will download version 2.6 15 day trial. The latest version is 2.7 but I've left this link here as it is the one Andrey gave me.)

2. Unzip it to some folder, for example to:
"~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/fairbot/"

3. Download another file:
www.binteko.net/download/libs.zip
It contains some libs from Windows XP. You can take these files from your
Windows XP system if you have. They reside in the "Windows\System32" folder.

4. Unpack files from the libs.zip to the folder
"~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/". Make a backup of existing files.

5. Run Wine Configuration and on the Libraries tab add the following libs to
the "override" list:
msxml3
shdocvw
shlwapi

(Note by AH: Assuming you have no other applications specified in Wine, this will be assigned to the default settings. If you have other applications, adding the above to the default settings may upset them. If this is the case, I'd advise you carry out step 6 first, then, with Fairbot.exe selected in the Applications Settings list, carry out step 5. This will assign the changes to Fairbot)

6. On the Applications tab add fairbot.exe to the list and set Windows XP
for it.

7. Run the Fairbot.

(Note by AH: If Fairbot doesn't work at this point, in particular, you may not be able to log in with the following message displayed in the Status bar: "Login error: OLE error 80004001" then run the following commands in turn via the terminal...

wine regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
wine regsvr32.exe msxml4.dll
wine regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll

This will register these files in the windows registry as COM objects. Again, thanks to Andrey for that tip.)

Run Fairbot again and hopefully at this point, you'll be able to login, load markets and place bets.

Please be advised that these are the steps that I had to take to get Fairbot running on Linux under Wine. I am far from being an expert on Wine so if you get different results, you may be better off contacting Andrey direct via his site.

For your information, this was installed on a Ubuntu 9.10 machine with kernel version 2.6.31-17-generic. Wine version 1.01 from the Ubuntu repositories.

As yet, I haven't fully played with it thanks to the on-going issues with the Betfair API but it seems to be stable and working. I have noticed that the help files aren't loading. I haven't had the chance to investigate why. However, if you've used any other trading application, much of what you see will be self-explanatory.

Once again, many thanks to Andrey at Fairbot for his assistance and permission to publish these instructions.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this overview. Most useful

Grubber said...

Interesting stuff, I had not heard of wine. Just getting into Linux a bit after playing with Ubuntu on a netbook, but still need some windows apps.

Thanks for the heads up.

Grubber

ganda said...

Hi Alistair

I have managed to have fairbot running on the mac.
I followed the instructions (not exactly as for you), and using the crossover app.

Thanks for this post, it helped me get it to work!

Ricardo aka _ganda_

Alistair said...

Glad to be of assistance chaps.

ganda said...

for people that want a walkthrough on Mac OS X I just wrote a post in my blog

http://u-ganda.blogspot.com/2010/02/running-fairbot-on-mac-os-x-snow.html

ganda

Alistair said...

Cheers Ganda. I'm sure Mac users will find that useful.

Alistair

Alistair said...

Although this walk through worked for both Fairbot and Daqbot when installing on Ubuntu 9.10 with WINE 1.01 I can't get it to install Daqbot on a Ubuntu 10.04 box with WINE 1.1.42

I continually get the aforementioned error: "Login error: OLE error 80004001" on the status bar even though I register the DLLs in step 7.

Some more investigation required, but if anyone has managed it, please post any details you may have. Ta.

Alistair said...

It's been a while, but I thought I'd have another bash at installing Daqbot after my failed attempts last September.

There's been a few updates to my Linux system since then and I'm please to report it installed no bother following the procedure outlined above. I still had the OLE error 80004001, but once I registered the DLLs as described I got in without any further issues.

In case it helps I'm running:
Ubuntu 10.04
Kernel 2.6.32-32-generic
Wine 1.01

This is much the same as I had before, so I'm not sure where the problem was last September. Anyway, I hope this helps if anyone wants to give it another bash.

phillyharper said...

Hi,

To anyone who's having trouble making this work, you also need to add msxml4 to the over rides in wine settings before it will work.

Make sure your Fairbot is added to the application list with Windows XP, and make sure the overides actually register properly.

I had problems until I did this. Thanks for the info!

Luca said...

> you also need to add msxml4

you saved me!
Now finally it works!
Thanks a lot phillyharper!
:-)