Where Has All The Time Gone?

Out the Windows, that's where!

The flavour of Linux I use, Ubuntu, like most desktop distributions of the open source operating system, not only comes with the OS itself, but pretty much all the software the average user is likely to need. On my current hardware it takes approximately one hour to install the OS and all the software, together with all recent updates. It automatically detects all the drivers it requires for graphics, network card, printer etc.

Yesterday, I decided to install Windows XP inside a virtual box so that I could test various Windows based trading software. It took more than five hours to install the OS, latest service packs and updates as well as anti-virus software. It refuses to acknowledge the existence of the correct graphics card and as a result, I cannot get the best resolution for my monitor.

All of that and I have yet to install Office, so in terms of like for like comparison with Ubuntu, it still isn't there yet and already it's taken more than five times the installation time.

And people wonder why I don't like Windows!

5 comments:

marcs said...

try windows 7. its'll take 10 min and you'll love it.

Alistair said...

Having seen it on my daughter's laptop, I can assure you I won't. :)

dj said...

I agree windows sucks! The best os is snow leopard on the mac. It just works unlike all windows os!! However, some platforms are for windows only. :(

The Geek said...

In hindsight perhaps a Java app may have been better, however I only started the toy to learn c#, so that is the reason it's a windows app.

The problem developers have is that to support Mac & Linux is a lot of effort for little reward in terms of additional users.

The Toy is written in .NET 2, which apparently is MONO compliant, however when I was in at Betfair and tried it wouldn't run.

One day when I have both the time and a spare box kicking around I will have a look into the mono thing, although I can't promise when that will be, as I am a man with a whole load of commitments.

Alistair said...

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing is it not? Of course, cross-platform support is exactly where Java comes in. Even then, not all developers do it right and have a Java app that is Windows-centric. Betdaq's own trader software is a case in point in that the help system cannot be launched when running on Linux as it uses the Windows 'cmd' command to launch the browser.

As an engineer myself, albeit not a software one, I fully understand the 80:20 rule you adhere to Geek. Still, I think Linux will continue to make headway, particularly with users who have more than two brain cells to rub together. The vast majority of traders probably fall into that category, though clearly there are some exceptions.

I used to think I was the only Betfair trader using Linux. This clearly isn't the case. One only needs to take a look on The Geek's forum and see there's quite a few at least dabbling. Perhaps I'm the only one who stubbornly refuses to use Windows at all.

I've not investigated MONO in any great depth, so it would be very interesting to see if the Toy would work in that environment. No doubt you'll let us know if and when that happens.