June 2010 Summary

Another month gone. They seem to be flying past at the moment, though they can zoom by all they like as long as I keep making money! :)

This month has been profitable, though I spoiled it a bit this past three days by throwing away some 10% of what I'd built up. I traded the horse markets like an absolute beginner this week. Not to worry. Progress is still being made and having built my stake up to £50 over the past few weeks, I'll keep it there for a while as I consolidate what I've learned.

I'm sure I've mentioned in the past that I tend to keep a fixed amount in my Betfair account and, anything over that at the end of the month, I withdraw. Always nice to be able to reward myself at each month's end.

This month is different however. I've been paper trialling a strategy since mid-March and the intention for this month was to build up as much profit as possible and use that as a 'test bank' (nothing like putting real money on a strategy to see if it works). I'm happy to throw this bank away in a failed experiment as my main trading bank will remain intact.

The paper trial has been successful, though in the past two weeks results have fallen back somewhat. However, the paper exercise threw up a couple of additional strategies that are showing very good profits over the period. From that point of view, the paper exercise has been very worthwhile giving three strategies for the price of one as it were.

As you will have gathered, I've concentrated on the horses this month, despite a certain football competition taking place in South Africa. I've done a little football trading, primarily on those games kicking off at 12:30 as this didn't interfere with the horse racing. I traded with small amounts and wound up in the red. I think next season will have to be the time when I make a concerted effort in the football markets. Famous last words I know.

In the meantime, I'll concentrate on the horses. As I've said before, I want to be looking at an average daily return of £50 by the end of the summer. While there's been glimpses of that, I'm nowhere near making that a reality. Not yet anyway.

So lots of things to keep me interested over the coming months. In the meantime, I'm going to take a few days off from the trading, get some gardening done and various other jobs as well as watch the super bikes at Knockhill this weekend. I may even force myself to do my accounts and tax return. Yeah! Right!