November 2010 Summary

It has been an interesting month. One in which I abandoned all pretence of being able to trade the pre-race markets. I didn't touch them at all, other than over the past couple of days where boredom got the better of me and I slipped into old habits and paid for it.

My time was spent on the laying system, which, as regular readers will know, started off in a quite stunning fashion only to hit an equally stunning losing streak. Fortunately it has recovered a little and after today's races, finishes the month on a miserly +4.80 points.

As I mentioned in my last post, the lay system is now six months old and I've taken the decision not to publish its performance on the blog any more. It has, for all intents and purposes, reach the end of its shelf life as I have no intention of publicising the picks or how I come to select them.

However, to draw a line under it, I thought you might be interested in the following graph which gives the day-to-day performance of the system since its inception on 25th May up to the end of November.


Two major 'dips' in what is, over the six month period, a very healthy trend. I'll happily settle for 350 points profit every six months. The lay system will now become a mainstay of my life on Betfair while I move on to look at other areas.

It is interesting to note that having come in to trading nearly three years ago from the position of a failed and very frustrated and demoralised gambler, I find myself drifting back into systems betting and doing less and less trading. Or at least less horse trading.

My trading skills/performance has stalled completely this year, particularly as I've concentrated on pre-race horse trading. Over the past month, ignoring the lapse over the past couple of days, I have been much more relaxed about what I was doing - even though this month was very poor for the lay system. It is time I faced reality and accepted the fact that I just cannot hack it trading pre-race. I either have to completely change my approach or jack it in all together. From past evidence, it really should be the latter, but working from home and being around in the afternoons, I suspect that I'll find myself dabbling again. Something I really must resist.

So, given that, what now?

I'm not sure. This was never meant to be a career choice for me. It was only ever intended to be a means to earn some extra pennies. It has turned out much more than that as it has provided the funds that have made a difference. I've bought a brand new, straight off the factory floor, car; paid off my mortgage and treated myself and the family to numerous things that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise.

I'd like to get into football trading (how long have I been saying that?) though I suspect I'll just end up looking into other systems. I'm currently developing a Dobbing system and a football laying system has been documented on the forum for some time. I have a few other ideas that I need to explore as well.

You might think it strange that having been a failed gambler, I'd be considering returning to that, especially having made a profit through trading. You'd be right. However, there are two very important differences now. Thanks to trading, I am much more disciplined now and my money management is now on a sound footing.

All in all, it should be an interesting few months.

As ever, thanks for reading my ramblings. Much appreciated.

No comments: