Fairbot Trial

Well, that's the end of my trial period on the latest version of Fairbot on Linux. I have to say it went very well. It didn't help my horse trading, but then that wasn't the point of the exercise. Indeed, I only revisited the pre-race horse markets so that I could give the software a good workout. My trading is migrating away from the horse markets for which I have failed to develop any consistency. For what I intend to do now, Fairbot will suit very well indeed.

It has all the standard tools one would expect from a trading application, i.e. tick offset, stop losses etc, and I will be making great use of its excellent Dutching facility.

The only issue I had with it was the help system. It wouldn't display the content for any topics I selected. For anyone who has used other trading applications, most, if not all of the interface is self-explanatory so it may not be that much of an issue for you. I suspect the issues lies with my installation of Wine, or at least an application I haven't installed under Wine. In any case, I've reported the problem back to the developers, Binteko.

For those that are interested, I followed the same procedure as outlined in my original Fairbot on Linux post (noting the comments section as well).

I'm currently using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS so I had to add the Wine repository to my software sources in order to get the latest, stable version of Wine, i.e. version 1.2.3 prior to installing Fairbot 2.96.

Andrey at Binteko has since provided me with updated installation instructions for anyone that is interested. I haven't gone through this myself so if my original instructions do not work for you, try those below (or vice versa).

I used Ubuntu 10.10, GNOME 2.32.0

1. Install WINE using the Software Center. I installed Wine 1.2.1.

2. Download and install Winetricks using this command in the Terminal:

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

3. Perform the following command form the Terminal to open Wintricks configuration tool:

sh winetricks

4. Tick "msxml4" and "ie6" items and click OK button to install them.

5. Download the latest version of FairBot using the following link:
http://www.binteko.com/download/fairbot.exe

6. Install it. And it should work after installation.


Best regards,
Andrey
Binteko Software http://www.binteko.com

Andrey has also been good enough to confirm to me that Fairbot Linux support will continue, which is good news.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

still a fucking prick lol

Anonymous said...

Self appraisal, a fine concept, to which no one would ever argue.