A Change Of Direction

After many years trying to master the art of pre-race horse trading, it's time to call it a day.

Since May I've been spending all my spare time renovating my home and simply not had the time or the inclination to sit at my computer all day getting involved in the horse markets. I cannot say I've missed it.

Although throughout that time my data gathering and analysis bots have been running, I've decided to switch them off as well. I just don't have the time to look at the data.



So, time to look at other markets, specifically football. Even there though the strategies are more punts than trades. I'm particularly looking at dutching the correct score markets. This showed a 40%+ ROI last year and it is currently running at about the same level this season - early days though.

I'm concentrating on the EPL but I'll need to introduce some automation if I want to expand it to other leagues as the analysis takes some time.

I've a couple of other strategies on the go which I won't discuss yet.

As far as trading is concerned, I'll be looking at longer term markets. The days of sitting in front of the computer all day watching numbers bounce up and down are over for me. So sports such as cricket and golf are likely to be the first targets but there's a bit of a learning curve to negotiate first.

I have to confess, I find myself drifting back to straight betting again, particularly with football. There is one important thing that is different this time around.... Discipline. Thanks to my efforts in the greyhound and horse markets over the years I have much better discipline and money management.

Not only that, thanks to my successes in those markets when I first started trading, I'm still playing with money I won way back then so I have no need to feed my Betfair/Betdaq accounts.

So, a change of direction and, who knows, perhaps even this blog will see more regular posting again now that I will have the time to do so.

1 comment:

PhilipH said...

Here's wishing you much good luck in your endeavours Alistair. I fully understand your change of direction. I gave up my feeble 'trading' attempts two or more years ago and just had a punt as and when I felt bored enough. I seldom bother with even that now.
Horse-racing is full of pot-holes that make a mockery of 'form' and I don't trust the 'sport' much at all now. Favourite sport, to watch, is tennis; never miss any Wimbledon stuff. So, once a year I may risk a tenner or two on this event. Cheers, Phil